Wednesday 28 September 2011

Inspiration from Herculaneum

When we were in Sorrento this summer we hired a car to take us first to Vesuvius so the boys could climb it early in the day before the heat built up too much, and then on to Herculaneum.  Herculaneum was lost in the erruption that also destroyed Pompeii, but rather than pyroclastic blast it was subsumed by mud, etc.  This meant that, rather than being rained down upon, Herculaneum was filled from the bottom up.  So, while there is an awful lot less uncovered than at Pompeii, what there is is of great quality.  Some of the villas look better than some of the modern "fixer-up"s I've seen, and there are beautiful mosaics and paintings.  Some of it is just so delicate.

There are a lot of scrappy challenges out there, and one I've seen quite often is to produce layouts based on advertisements, taking the design, or colours as a starting point.  I think when I have more time, I would like to do a series of layouts inspired by different works of art;  the light bright colours of some of the early impressionists, the richness of colour and depth of Holbein, and the colours and design elements of some of the mosaics I saw at Herculaneum.  Here are a couple of tasters - makes me want to start scrapping now!


No comments:

Post a Comment